Northwest Passage: Epic High Arctic
The fabled sea route connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, the Northwest Passage continues to grip our collective imagination. On this captivating 17-day voyage, you are invited aboard the game-changing new vessel, Ultramarine, to explore this fascinating waterway with an incredible range of on-board comforts and off-ship adventures no other vessel can offer. Passing through the Canadian Arctic archipelago, you will journey back in time to the height of Arctic exploration, navigating the waters explored by sailors from different lands and visiting the sites that helped unlock the eventual discovery of this long-coveted route.
Marvel at highlights of the Canadian Arctic and Greenland's stunning west coast, stopping at traditional Inuit and Greenlandic communities. Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy and excitement of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage.
Highlights Include: • Cruise the remote regions of Greenland and the Canadian Arctic • Explore Beechey Island a Canadian National Historic Site • Radstock Bay - a popular research location for observing polar bears • Cruise the uninhabited passage between Ellesmere Island and Greenland • Learn about Inuit cultures and traditions and hear what it's like living near the top of the world
Your Ship: The vessels in Quark Expeditions fleet accommodation anywhere from 128 to 199 passengers. They never exceed more than 200 passengers which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Quark Expeditions boasts the largest polar-class fleet of any polar operator, and the ability to offer you this incredible voyage on one of their ice strengthened vessels. The entire Quark Expeditions fleet is built for challenging polar environments, allowing Quark to take you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ultramarine: The newest ship in the Quark Expeditions fleet, Ultramarine is equipped with two twin-engine helicopters and offers guests the most robust portfolio of adventure activities in the industry and the most spacious suites in its category. Ultramarine also features breathtaking public spaces, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size. Guests: 199
Day 1: Toronto, Canada Your Arctic expedition begins in Toronto. Explore this vibrant city on your own before spending the night at your well appointed hotel.
Day 2: Resolute This morning, board your charter flight to Resolute. Upon arrival, you'll have a chance to walk around this small Arctic town before enjoying your first of many Zodiac cruises as you're transferred to your ship.
Days 3-6 : High Arctic Cruising around the remote regions of Greenland and the Canadian Arctic aboard Ultramarine, the newest ship in the Quark fleet, you'll navigate the same icy inlets, channels and bays that fascinated legendary explorers of long ago. Designed to give polar adventurers unprecedented access to the hardest to-reach places on the planet and equipped with two onboard twin-engine helicopters for unparalleled access to areas only Quark Expeditions can bring you.
Days 7 & 8: Smith Sound Before saying goodbye to Canada, you will cruise as far north as possible, exploring both sides of Smith Sound, the uninhabited passage between Ellesmere Island and Greenland.
Day 9: Qaanaaq Your first stop in Greenland is Qaanaaq, formerly known as Thule, one of the northernmost towns in the world. Here, local Inuit share their culture and traditions, and the museum sheds more light on what it's like living near the top of the world.
Day 10: At sea As we sail south along the west coast of Greenland, presentations by on-board experts will prepare you for the adventures that lie ahead.
Days 11 - 15: Exploring West Greenland With spectacular glaciers, soaring fjords and vibrant communities, the west coast of Greenland will leave you breathless.
Day 16: Disembark in Kangerlussuaq & fly to Toronto Enjoy one more Zodiac ride to shore, where you'll board your charter flight back to Toronto, Canada. Upon arrival in Toronto, we will transfer you to your included hotel.
Day 17: Depart Toronto, Canada Make your way home at your leisure or spend some time exploring this fascinating city.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board • Beer and house wine during dinner • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Complimentary reusable water bottle • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive onboard materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
Mandatory Transfer Package Includes • One night's pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Toronto • Group transfer from the Toronto hotel to the ship on Day 2 • Charter flight from Toronto to Kangerlussuaq • Group transfer from the ship to the Kangerlussuaq airport on disembarkation day • Charter flight from Kangerlussuaq to Toronto • Group transfer from Toronto airport to hotel on disembarkation day • One night's post-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik • Shuttle transfer to airport on last day of itinerary
Pricing (per person) $AUD
Aug 31 2022
2021 Aug 31
2022 Aug 30
Not included • Mandatory transfer package
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Massage service
• Mandatory transfer package • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Massage service
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.