Under The Northern Lights: Exploring Iceland & East Greenland
Explore two of the last unspoiled wilderness areas on the planet, cruising along Iceland's mountainous Vestfjords and Greenland's remote northeast coast, home to the largest fjords system in the world. You'll discover diverse and dramatically rugged landscapes in rich iconic arctic wildlife.
Highlights include: Being immersed in the untamed beauty of the Arctic, experiencing Inuit culture firsthand at Ittoqqortoormiit, ancient Thule sites steeped in history, and marvel at the majesty of massive icebergs and towering bird cliffs. If you're lucky, you may also catch sight of the spectacular northern lights dancing across the sky.
Your Ship: The Quark Expeditions fleet never exceed more than 200 passengers , which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Their ice strengthened vessels are built for challenging polar environments, which takes you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi.
Day 1: Arrive in Reykjavik, Iceland Arrive in the Icelandic capital in the morning and make your way to your included hotel. You will have the day to explore the city on your own.
Day 2: Reykjavik This afternoon, you'll board your vessel and begin your expedition. Get ready for a great adventure ahead!
Day 3: Exploring the Vestfjords Each region of Iceland has its own appeal for nature, bird and history lovers, and the little-visited Vestfjords (Westfjords), where the land meets the sea in the most dramatic fashion, is no exception. Exploring this rugged peninsula at the country's remote northwestern tip offers awe-inspiring vistas of mountains, fjords and towering cliffs. If lucky and conditions allow, you might cruise along Latrabjarg, Europe's largest bird cliff, teeming with puffins, razorbills, guillemots and more. Another possible destination is the quaint island of Flatey, where a replica of Iceland's largest medieval manuscript, Flateyjarbok, can be viewed in the library. The church here features murals symbolizing life on the island, including one of Jesus wearing a classic Icelandic sweater.
Day 4: At Sea As we cruise north across the Denmark Strait, your Expedition Team will prepare you for the adventures that await. Learn about the storied history and politics of the Arctic, its fascinating wildlife, geology, ecology and climate, and the incredible sights you will soon explore. The team will also search for the seabirds soaring around your ship, as well as the whales that frequent the waters here.
Days 5: to Day 12: Exploring Northeast Greenland During your tour of Greenland's remote northeast coast, you'll enjoy Zodiac cruises and shore visits to several locations. Keep an eye out for grazing muskoxen, as 40 percent of the world's muskoxen population lives in Northeast Greenland National Park. Sailing through spectacular Scoresbysund, the birthplace of many icebergs, you'll immediately see why some say it's the most beautiful fjord system on the planet. Sites such as Frederiksdal and Sydkap offer opportunities to explore the colourful tundra and the remains of ancient Thule settlements. At the entrance of the sound is East Greenland's most northerly community, Ittoqqortoormiit, where you may spend time interacting with the Inuit people and learning about their way of life. You may also have a chance to see the northern lights here if the skies are clear. Deeper in the sound, Rode Oya offers a picturesque locale for admiring the beauty of sky-blue bergs set against striking red sandstone cliffs. Magnificent vistas also await at Kong Oscar Fjord, with possible landings at Ella Oya, renowned for its rugged cliffs and ice-choked waters, and flower-rich Botanikerbugt, on Ymer Oya (Ymer Island).
Day 13: At Sea As your arctic adventure winds down, take in a presentation by our onboard experts, share your photos, sip an icy cocktail in the bar or watch a movie - there are many activities during your time at sea. Your Expedition Team will also be on hand to answer any questions and point out wildlife.
Day 14: Depart Reykjavik, Iceland You'll disembark in Reykjavik, Iceland's capital, at the end of your journey.
Important Reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your Expedition Team must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed. By the same token, wildlife encounters as described are expected but not guaranteed. Your Expedition Team will use their considerable experience to seek out wildlife in known habitats, but the presence of any particular species of bird or marine wildlife is not a guarantee.
• Leadership throughout your voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities • All Zodiac transfers and cruising as per the daily program • All shore landings as per the daily program • Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships' galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.) • Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled • A photographic journal documenting the expedition • A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions • An official Quark ExpeditionsÂ® parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person • Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax • One night's pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik • Group transfer from the Reykjavik hotel to the ship on Day 2 • Group transfer from the ship to downtown Reykjavik on disembarkation day
Pricing (per person) $USD
8, 20 Sep
8, 20 Sep
2022 8, 20 Sep 2023 8, 20 Sep
Booking conditions • Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on
• Single cabin prices available on request
• Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on • Single cabin prices available on request
Not included • International airfare
• Arrival and departure transfers
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance"”strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location)
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Adventure Options not listed in Included Activities
• International airfare • Arrival and departure transfers • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance"”strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location) • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Adventure Options not listed in Included Activities
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board
Early booking offers for cruises departing 2022 and 2023
Early booking offer: • Up to 25% savings on select cabins and voyages for departures between May 2022 -Sep 2023.
Additional full payment bonus: • 10% saving on select voyages between May 2023 - Sep 2023. • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made between 1 Apr 2022 and 29 Jun 2022 and applies to the voyage fare only, subject to availability.
Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.