Crossing the Circle Southern Expedition
• Extend your time in Antarctica and make landings in less frequented sites south of the Antarctic Circle • Visit historic research stations in the area of Marguerite Bay • Witness the quintessential Antarctic wildlife, including penguins, seals, whales and more • Experience the Western Peninsula highlights and visit iconic landing sites • Learn about Antarctica's geology and wildlife from onboard lecturers and specialists
A comfortable, included charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia starts you off on an epic journey to 66 degrees south. Crossing the Drake Passage, an adventure in itself, is an opportunity to engage with expert on-board lecturers and get to know your fellow travelers.
Approaching the Antarctic Peninsula, you'll wonder at the sheer scale and scope of the icebergs, mountains and stretches of polar beaches, dotted with seals and penguins. This exploration will take you further south still to cross into the Antarctic Circle, a privileged achievement you'll celebrate with your shipmates. Equal parts unpredictable, exciting and awe inspiring, your Antarctic adventure will impart in your memories to last a lifetime.
Your Ship: Ocean Endeavour Ocean Endeavour is a comfortable, well-appointed small expedition ship expertly engineered to explore the Polar Regions. It features an ice-strengthened hull, Zodiacs for exploration and remote landings, generous deck space and advanced navigation equipment. The ship has many superb amenities including a nautical lounge, two restaurants, sundeck, and plenty of deck space for observation of polar landscapes, and lounges for learning and reflection. The ship's interiors have a contemporary aesthetic that provides a bright and spacious feel to the cabins and common spaces.
Your Ship: Ocean Diamond The Ocean Diamond is a modern, stable super-yacht, and one of the largest of our small expedition ships. Carrying a maximum of 189 passengers, and with two stabilizers and an ice-strengthened hull, this outstanding vessel is ideal for polar expeditions.
As one of the fastest, and most eco-friendly ships in Antarctica, it is also one of the most comfortable. There are 101 elegantly designed cabins and suites, all with exterior views, and expansive common spaces, a club lounge, and a spacious restaurant. The ship offers numerous adventure options, plus on-board features such as interactions with photography instructors. After a full day of exploration, passengers can relax, browse books or DVDs in the well-stocked polar library, or enjoy stunning polar scenery from the sun-lit, panoramic observation lounge.
Your ship: Ocean Adventurer Ocean Adventurer (formerly known as the Sea Adventurer).
As of June 2017, Quark Expeditions' much beloved polar expedition ship the "Sea Adventurer" will be undergoing a multi-million-dollar renovation and be officially renamed the "Ocean Adventurer".
The new and improved Ocean Adventurer is designed to carry 132 travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world. Originally built in Yugoslavia in 1976, this nimble, ice-strengthened ship has become a passenger favourite over the years and underwent refurbishments in 1999 and 2002 with the most significant being in 2017.
With the latest rounds of refurbishments guests will enjoy:
• A refreshed, contemporary new look and feel throughout the ship. • The addition of six new twin cabins and three new suites. • All existing cabins will be furnished with all new soft furnishings and brand new bathrooms. • Main common areas such as the Lounge and Dining Room will be remodeled as well as the Bar. • Major technical enhancements - include two new Rolls Royce engines, which will significantly increase fuel efficiency and minimized carbon footprint.
Day 1: Buenos Aires, Argentina You may arrive in Buenos Aires at any time during Day 1 of the itinerary. Upon your arrival in Buenos Aires, you will independently transfer to the group hotel (pre-night hotel included).
Day 2: Charter Flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, Argentina and Embarkation After breakfast at the hotel, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina. Upon arrival, we'll take a short city tour of this quaint port town before heading to the pier.
Days 3 & 4: Crossing the Drake Passage The waters of the Drake Passage are unpredictable, so hope for clear skies and a calm ocean. You'll have plenty of time to gaze out at the sea, get to know your fellow shipmates and chat with your Expedition Team.
Time over these two days will be spent preparing for the exciting days ahead, with numerous educational and informative lectures from your Expedition Team. You'll learn about everything from safety procedures to the history of whaling in Antarctica.
Days 5 to 7: The Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands With the Drake Passage left in our wake, we make our approach to Antarctica. Get your cameras ready as the continent's coastline will make its first appearance, signaling the start of your adventure in the realm of the Antarctic.
You'll see plentiful icebergs floating by and be fixated on the surface of the ocean as curious whales spout and breach before your eyes. As exciting as it can be from onboard the ship, your true exploration occurs when you disembark and set foot on the great continent. There are several potential landing sites we may visit, including Neko Harbour, Orne Harbour or Paradise Harbour.
Your days will be busy spotting wildlife and being mesmerized by the beauty of Antarctica. Watching penguins waddling on the beach and listening to the crackling and crumbling sounds of icebergs and glaciers will become your daily entertainment, while kayaking with whales and camping in Antarctica are a couple of optional activities available on selected voyages (at an extra cost).
Days 8 & 9: The Antarctic Circle Crossing the Antarctic Circle is an impressive achievement, as most expeditions to the Peninsula do not reach this far south, which is officially noted at 66 degrees 33 S. You and your shipmates will celebrate in style with a well earned glass of champagne!
Make a toast and take pride in knowing you've made it to a part of the world still visited by very few people.
Days 10 & 11: Northbound Along the Peninsula By now, your knowledge of Adelie, chinstrap and gentoo penguins will be matched by your ability to differentiate between a leopard, fur or Weddell seal. Terms like 'bergy bits' and pancake ice will seem normal too, yet there are still many tales to be told. As you head north, Zodiac excursions will continue to fill your days, while the Expedition team will continue to offer presentations, while giving you time to reflect on everything you've experienced.
Days 12 & 13: Drake Passage to Ushuaia Re-crossing the Drake, Antarctica fades away and you'll be left with a collection of memories to last a lifetime. Excited conversations with your newfound friends will make the time crossing the Drake Passage fly by, independent of weather and sea conditions. Your Expedition Team will round up their series of lectures as well, perhaps with a slideshow of some of the great landing sites and wildlife you've visited over the course of your voyage.
Day 14: Disembark in Ushuaia, for charter flight back to Buenos Aires After breakfast aboard the ship, it is time to part ways and say goodbye to your Expedition Team.
After disembarkation, you will have a little time to explore Ushuaia before we transfer to the airport for the return group charter flight to Buenos Aires.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy and excitement of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • Complimentary wine with dinner (Ocean Endeavour only) • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • Buenos Aires Flight and Transfer Package (USD$800 per person) includes: Pre expedition hotel night in Buenos Aires, with breakfast, Group transfer from the hotel to the airport in Buenos Aires, Charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (return), Group transfer from Ushuaia airport to the ship (return).
Pricing (per person) $USD
2019 Ocean Diamond Feb 19
Booking conditions Other categories of cabin available on request. Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Other categories of cabin available on request.
Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
First time travellers with Quark save up to US$1,000
Save US$500 per person on Standard Cabins, and US$1,000 per person on Premium Cabins. Valid on bookings confirmed by 31 Jan 2019 for selected voyages to Antarctica departing Nov 2019 to Mar 2020. Applies to voyage fare only. Valid only for guests who have not previously travelled with Quark Expeditions.
Save up to 30% on select 2019 & 2020 departures!
Book by 31 Jan 2019 to save up to 30% on Premium Cabins, and 25% on Standard Cabins, on select departures Nov 2019 to Mar 2020.
PREMIUM CABINS: Save 25%: Ocean Diamond 16 Feb 2020 Save 20%:** Ocean Endeavour 16 Jan 2020
STANDARD CABINS: Save 20%: Ocean Diamond 16 Feb 2020 Save 15%: Ocean Endeavour 16 Jan 2020 Save 10%: Ocean Diamond 08 Jan 2020
Standard and Premium Cabins by Ship: • World Explorer: Standard Cabin: Infinity, Veranda; Premium Cabin: Superior, Deluxe, Owner's Suite; • Ocean Diamond: Standard Cabin: Twin Obst. View, Twin Window, Single Obst. View, Single Porthole; Premium Cabin: Suite, Balcony Suite; • Ocean Endeavour: Standard Cabin: Single, Twin Portholes, Twin Window, Upper Deck Twin/Double, Twin Porthole Suites; Premium Cabin: Superior, Top Deck Double, Twin Window Suites, Junior Suite, Owner's Suite; • Ocean Adventurer: Standard Cabin: Lower Deck, Main Deck Porthole, Main Deck Window; Premium Cabin: Superior, Deluxe, Suite, Owner's Suite.
Conditions: Valid on bookings confirmed by 31 Jan 2019 for selected voyages to Antarctica departing Nov 2019 to Mar 2020. Only combinable with the First Time with Quark saving. Applies to voyage fare only. Excludes Triple cabins. Subject to availability.