West Greenland: Disko Bay
• Visit traditional communities on the western coast of Greenland • Explore the Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site • View arctic wildlife, such as whales, birds and seals • Cruise in a Zodiac to get up close to glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more • Take advantage of kayaking opportunities
This 10-day voyage focuses on Disko Bay, an area as rich in history and legend as it is famous for icebergs and whales. Your arctic expedition explores the natural wonders of northwest Greenland in all their glory, from the impressive Ilulissat Icefjord (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) and breathtaking Eqip Sermia glacier to the red heart-shaped mountain of Uummannaq and the incredible volcanic rock formations of Qeqertarsuaq. Traditional Inuit villages, each with its own character, are found along the coast, their brightly colored wooden houses dotting the rugged landscape. Vast stretches of unspoiled wilderness await modern-day adventurers in this magical realm, home to some of the best whale watching in the country.
Ocean Adventurer The Ocean Adventurer is a comfortable vessel with spacious cabins, which all have private bathroom facilities and exterior views. Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, Ocean Adventurer was built in 1976, and will undergo extensive upgrades in 2017. This multi-million dollar investment includes renovations to the interior of the ship, significant technical upgrades, and the addition of a new cabin category, the Owner's Suites. The refurbishment will give the ship new bathrooms in every cabin, and upgrades to the Lounge, Dining Room, gym, and suites. Technical enhancements - including two new engines, generators, gear boxes, drive systems, and re-bladed propellers - will result in increased fuel efficiency, and a minimized carbon footprint.
Day 1: Arrive in Reykjavik, Iceland Your journey begins in Reykjavik, where you can explore the Icelandic capital on your own before spending the night at your included hotel.
Day 2: Fly to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland and Embark After breakfast, board your charter flight to Kangerlussuaq. You'll have some time to wander this small seaside town, situated in one of Greenland's longest fjords, before being transferred by Zodiac from shore to ship.
Day 3: Itilleq Today, you'll visit a typical Greenlandic village, the picturesque Itilleq. Delightfully situated in a hollow (which is the meaning of "Itilleq" in Greenlandic), it's surrounded by sea, mountains and fjords, on an island with no freshwater source. The small fishing and hunting community will welcome us and show us their way of life. Nearby, Itilleq Fjord is the perfect place to explore, as the colorful tundra bursting with wildflowers offers a vibrant contrast to the stark, soaring cliffs.
Day 4: Illulissat Adventure awaits you in Ilulissat (meaning "iceberg" in Greenlandic), a gateway to another world. Just south of this town is the beautiful Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home of one of the most actively calving glaciers in the world, Sermeq Kujalleq. We'll cruise in a Zodiac at the mouth of the fjord, and if you're lucky, you may witness the spectacle of calving ice. These young bergs float down the fjord to enter Baffin Bay and, years later, end up farther south, off the coast of Newfoundland. The town itself, founded in 1741, is so traditional that sled dogs outnumber the people and still have the right of way. Hiking trails offer stunning vistas of the bergs as they approach the bay.
Day 5: Eqip Sermia Sailing toward the glacier Eqip Sermia rewards with breathtaking views one of the most photographed places in Greenland. We hope to Zodiac cruise from a safe distance, tracing the spectacular jagged, gleaming-blue glacier front. We may also stop nearby for a shore landing.
Day 6: Uummannaq and Qilaqitsoq Have your camera ready and be out on deck as the ship approaches Uummannaq (which means "heart-like"), named for the heart-shaped mountain that towers over the town. It's a breathtaking vista you won't want to miss. Founded as a Danish colony in 1758 on the mainland, the settlement was moved five years later to this nearby island, where seal hunting was more plentiful. Marvel at the traditional colorful houses perched atop the rugged terrain as you wander through the town. Nearby Qilaqitsoq (also known as Qilakitsoq) is the where the remains of eight fully dressed mummies were discovered in 1972 under a rock outcrop by two brothers out hunting for grouse. The ruins of several buildings can be found not far from the graves. The world-famous mummies, which date back to 1475 AD, can now be viewed at the Greenland National Museum in Nuuk.
Day 7: Qeqertarsuaq (Disko Island) The town of Qeqertarsuaq (also the name of the island it's on) is one of Greenland's oldest, founded in 1773 as a whaling station. Today, although whaling still occurs, sealing and fishing are more predominant. Particularly rich with marine life, the waters around the island play host to humpback, fin, and minke whales. Coupled with the abundance of icebergs the area boasts, whale watching here is especially awe inspiring. Just as mesmerizing is the varied volcanic landscape, a combination of lush hilltops, red-tinged basalt mountains, hot springs and incredible rock figures.
Day 8: Sisimiut Today, you'll have time to explore the 18th-century colonial buildings of Sisimiut and also watch a demonstration of traditional kayaking. Be sure to wander the historic area, where you can pass under the large arch formed by a pair of bowhead whale bones. There will also be an opportunity to hike amongst the soaring mountains that surround the town.
Day 9: Disembarkation in Kangerlussuaq After bidding goodbye to your Expedition Team, you'll take a direct charter flight back to Reykjavik, Iceland, where we will transfer you to your included hotel.
Day 10: Depart Reykjavik, Iceland You can make your way home at your leisure or spend some more time exploring Reykjavik.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy and excitement of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
Mandatory Transfer Package Includes • One night's pre- and post-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik with breakfast • Transfers to and from the charter flights in Reykjavik • Round trip charter flights between Reykjavik and Kangerlussuaq • Transfers to and from the ship
Pricing (per person) $USD
2018 Aug 19
Booking conditions • Baggage allowance on charter flights is 15 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on.
• Other categories of cabin available on request.
• Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' programme, not all cabins apply
• Please contact World Journeys for the updated USD exchange rate.
• Baggage allowance on charter flights is 15 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on. • Other categories of cabin available on request. • Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' programme, not all cabins apply • Please contact World Journeys for the updated USD exchange rate.
Not included • International airfare
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Arrival and departure transfers in Reykjavik
• Optional kayaking activities
• International airfare • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Arrival and departure transfers in Reykjavik • Optional kayaking activities
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Save up to 20% on select departures in 2018
Book by 28 February 2018 to enjoy savings of between 15% and 20% on select departures in Aug 2018. Savings vary per departure, per vessel and per cabin category. Contact World Journeys for current availability. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion, except Shackleton Club; referral and past passenger discounts. Applies to voyage only; cabins limited. Not applicable on transfer package, land-based programs, Adventure Options, additional hotel accommodation, pre/post tours, insurance, flights, or group bookings. Quark has the right to limit, change or discontinue promotion at any time without notice. Excludes triple cabins and owner suites on all ships. No cash value.