Spitsbergen In Depth: Big Islands, Big Adventure
• Encounter arctic wildlife: polar bears, walrus, reindeer • View numerous arctic bird species • Explore the polar desert • Take advantage of continuous daylight • Hike the tundra • Cruise in a Zodiac • Enjoy optional kayak adventure opportunities
Spitsbergen is the largest island of the Svalbard archipelago, and on this voyage we'll attempt a circumnavigation of the island. Lying entirely within the Arctic Circle, Spitsbergen is rugged, wild, unspoiled- utterly unforgettable. When it comes to viewing arctic wildlife, Spitsbergen is known as one of the most prolific destinations.
The island and surrounding area offers one of the best opportunities to view polar bears, and with luck you'll be able to see the world's largest carnivores in their natural habitat. Walrus populations love Spitsbergen as well, feeding in the food-rich icy waters around the island. Whales and seabirds will also entertain you during the sailing portions of the expedition, and you may catch a sighting of reindeer or fox when taking Zodiac excursions to shore.
Day 1: Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Norway Your Spitsbergen arctic voyage begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. Enjoy your first view of the island's rugged, glacier-topped mountains, rising majestically from icy waters.
Days 2 to 12: Circumnavigating Spitsbergen Expect a new adventure every day as we begin our circumnavigation by heading north and around the island of Spitsbergen, exploring smaller, outlying islands. The variety of incredible wildlife and geological formations found here is astounding. We plan to circumnavigate the island of Spitsbergen, but if conditions are favorable, we will also attempt a circumnavigation of the whole Svalbard archipelago. Every expedition will be different, depending on the weather and ice, but we do hope to visit a few of our favorite landing sites, including the 14th of July Glacier, Ny London, PhippsÃ¸ya, Alkefjellet and the seldom-visited KvitÃ¸ya.
The names may seem strange to you, but each has its own unique appeal. For birders, the 14th of July Glacier is home to purple sandpipers, common eiders, barnacle geese and arctic terns, while Alkefjellet is home to nesting BrÃ¼nnich's guillemots (thick-billed murres).
If you're looking for confirmation that reindeer are real, then you'll want to have your camera ready for visits to sites like Ny London, Sundneset and Alkhornet. As for the largest land carnivore in the world, searching for polar bears is a constant activity for our Expedition Team. PhippsÃ¸ya and Isbukta are two of the bears' preferred places for hunting, which translates into great potential for you to capture them in action.
A big part of appreciating Spitsbergen comes from understanding the culture"”not just how people live today, but also how this land was first explored. Whaling was a key industry, and you will see old blubber ovens from the 16th century, plus other evidence of whaling at landing sites such as Smeerenburg. Colorful tundra meadows are complemented by glaciers, and sometimes there is a rare chance to spot beluga whales.
Day 13: Depart Longyearbyen Your adventure ends in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy""and excitement""of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
Ocean Nova Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, Ocean Nova was built in Denmark. This ship delivers clean, crisp Scandinavian styling with a reputation as a modern and comfortable ship in the Polar Regions. Ocean Nova's ice strengthened hull has enabled the ship to sail the ice-choked waters, carrying a maximum of 78 passengers. Quark ExpeditionsÂ® is also pleased to offer certified CarbonNeutralÂ® voyages on the Ocean Nova.
Ocean Adventurer (Formerly known as Sea Adventurer) The Ocean Adventurer is a comfortable vessel with spacious cabins, which all have private bathroom facilities and exterior views. Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, Ocean Adventurer was built in 1976, and underwent extensive upgrades in 2017. This multi-million dollar investment included renovations to the interior of the ship, significant technical upgrades, and the addition of a new cabin category, the Owner's Suites. The refurbishment gave the ship new bathrooms in every cabin, and upgrades to the Lounge, Dining Room, gym, and suites. Technical enhancements "“ including two new engines, generators, gear boxes, drive systems, and re-bladed propellers "“ resulted in increased fuel efficiency, and a minimized carbon footprint.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation • Transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship on embarkation day • Group transfer from the ship to Longyearbyen airport or a local designated drop-off location on disembarkation day
Pricing (per person) $USD
Jul 13 2018 Ocean Adventurer
Jun 30 Ocean Nova
Booking conditions • Other categories of cabin available on request.
• Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
• Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
• Other categories of cabin available on request. • Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply. • Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
Not included • International airfare
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance"”strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Optional kayaking activities
• International airfare • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance"”strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Optional kayaking activities
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Book by 30 April 2017 to save up to US$3,500 per person on 2018 sailings!
Book and deposit by 28 April 2017 to save on departures June to September 2018. Standard Cabin: save US$2,500 per person Premium Cabin: save US$3,500 per person Offer applies to voyage only, excludes quad and triple cabins, and does not apply to Adventure Options, additional hotel accommodation, pre/post tours, insurance etc. Offer is subject to availability, and Quark has the right to limit, change or discontinue the promotion at any time without notice.