Great Bear Nature Lodge
Grizzly Bear viewing program based at a floating lodge in the heart of the Great Bear Rainforest. Great Bear Nature Tours is rated by National Geographic Adventure as one of the Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth. With a maximum of 16 guests, you are assured of a personalsed wilderness adventure in this very special area.
Known as the Great Bear Rainforest, this area is one of the best places in the world to observe grizzly (brown) bears as well as black bears, gray wolves, river otters, black tailed deer, and bald eagles. This experience is tailored to maximize wildlife viewing and photography opportunities with viewing sessions scheduled to coincide with peak wildlife activity. From May to June, grizzly bears come down from the mountains to the estuary grasslands to graze on sedges and other new growth. There you can observe and photograph them from boats. Coinciding with breeding season you will often see males interacting with females -additionally, the estuary is bustling with bird and animal life at this time of year. The return of tens of thousands of salmon marks the beginning of the fall season in mid-August. There is a series of covered viewing stands along the river providing a variety of settings to view and photograph grizzly bears as they gorge on fish in anticipation of their coming hibernation. After a day spent viewing wildlife, you will enjoy the new floating lodge. A solar and wind powered facility, it has five bedrooms with washrooms, a sitting room with fireplace, wilderness gourmet meals, and large decks making for a very memorable stay.
Day 1: Vancouver > Port Hardy > Great Bear Lodge Late this morning depart from Vancouver International Airport (South Terminal) for a 70 minute flight to Port Hardy. Upon arrival tansfer (included) to the town of Port Hardy for lunch (own cost) and to explore the town. Mid-afternoon you will be transferred to the floatplane base for your scenic flight over the Queen Charlotte Strait to the floating lodge. After a brief introduction to the lodge you will head out on your first Grizzly excursion.
Day 2: Great Bear Lodge In the mornig, you will be on the trail of the Grizzly Bear again after some good coffee and breakfast. A typical viewing session lasts three hours. After a morning of adventure, you will return to the lodge and a chance to relax. Spend the early afternoon exploring the surrounding area with a guide. A popular activity is the interpretive rainforest walk, examining bear signs and the general ecology of the area. Mid-afternoon you will venture out to see the bears before returning to the lodge for dinner. On clear nights, the stars are amazing.
Day 3: Great Bear Lodge As your stay at the lodge continues, you begin to settle into the natural rhythm of the valley. The bears are generally most active in the early morning and late afternoon hours, which is why we focus our viewing sessions on these times. Over the course of your stay we will take you to a variety of sites, depending on the bear activity.
Day 4: Great Bear Lodge > Port Hardy After your parting session with the bears you will enjoy lunch at the Great Bear Lodge. You will be returned to Port Hardy in the afternoon between 4pm and 6pm. Due to unpredictable weather conditions for flights around the lodge and Port Hardy we have included a nights accommodation in Port Hardy.
Day 5: Port Hardy > Vancouver Transfer (not included) mid-morning to Port Hardy Airport for your return flight to Vancouver (South Terminal)
• Independent tour with local guides • Return flights Vancouver > Port Hardy • Transfer Port Hardy Airport to seaplane terminal and seaplane terminal to hotel • Return Seaplane flights Port Hardy > Great Bear Nature Lodge • 3 nights in a private room at Great Bear Lodge • 1 nights' accommodation in Port Hardy (last night) • Interpretive discussion and welcome orientation for wildlife viewing • Afternoon and morning bear viewing sessions, guided by a wildlife biologist • Slide shows and video presentations of the local natural history • Interpretive walks or boat excursions • Rubber boots and rain wear, if required • Binoculars for wildlife viewing • Wilderness gourmet meals at the lodge(including complimentary wine with dinner)
Pricing (per person) $AUD
Departs 2017 Departures
May: 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31
Jun: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30
Jul: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30
Aug: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29
Sep: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28
Oct: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16
May: 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31
Booking conditions • 7 night tour departures are also available. Ask World Journeys for details.
• Tours depart at 3pm from the Port Hardy Seaplane Base or Port Hardy Airport. Tours are scheduled to return to Port Hardy between 4pm-6pm, but can be delayed due to wilderness weather.
• Minimum age 15 years
• Deposit of 50% is required at time of booking.
• 7 night tour departures are also available. Ask World Journeys for details. • Tours depart at 3pm from the Port Hardy Seaplane Base or Port Hardy Airport. Tours are scheduled to return to Port Hardy between 4pm-6pm, but can be delayed due to wilderness weather. • Minimum age 15 years • Deposit of 50% is required at time of booking.
Not included • Transfer Port Hardy Hotel to Port Hardy Airport
• Gratuities for staff
• Transfer Port Hardy Hotel to Port Hardy Airport • Gratuities for staff
Gratuity • Suggested gratuities of CDN$20 per day per guest are not included
• Suggested gratuities of CDN$20 per day per guest are not included